EDCO working with the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, will be conducting a Tourism Investment Marketplace in Toronto on December 15, 2015. Only 20 communities will be able to participate, and meet with 10 key real estate and tourism investor “dragons” to pitch their prime tourism investment opportunities.
It is recommended that you attend this workshop as preference will be given to participants of the workshop to attend the December 15th Tourism Investment Marketplace. Participating in one of two preparatory Investment Readiness workshops (available only to members of EDCO and/or OEEDC) will also enhance your chance of investment attraction success, as you will learn what it takes to be dragon-ready.
On November 16th, invitations will be sent to workshop registrants for the December 15th: 2nd annual EDCO Tourism Investment Marketplace – Meet the Investment Dragons event.
2 registration optionsNovember 23rd Kingston 9:30 – 4:00
November 24th Toronto 9:30 – 4:00 - Registration button to left
$55.00 +HST per person
Register before November 19, 2015
In these sessions, Eric McSweeney of McSweeney & Associates will lead an interactive workshop to help you define your tourism related business opportunity, to build a compelling investment prospectus, and to prepare your pitch to interested investors and developers.
- Participants will briefly outline the nature of the tourism investment opportunity that they wish to draw investment to.
- An overview of how to conduct a number of important assessments related to attracting investment to your tourism related opportunity. This portion of the workshop will be responsive to the participant’s needs.
- Participants will be provided with a content template to prepare an investment prospectus (1-2 pages) for their investment opportunity containing the most relevant information required by investors.
- Workshop exercise: each participant prepares a draft investment prospectus for their proposed tourism investment using the content template.
- Participants will be provided with a guideline for the actual pitch presentation to investors: what they need/want to hear and see.
- Workshop exercise: each participant prepares and presents “practice pitch” (which will be video-recorded) during the workshop. Feedback and suggestions for improvement will be provided from the group and workshop leader, along with the recorded video file.
Workshop materials: In addition to the Prospectus Template, participants will be provided with an advance PDF copy of Tourism Investment Pre-Feasibility Assessment: A Community Workbook. This workbook provides a substantial amount of information and a series of templates to assist in conducting a pre-feasibility assessment of potential investment opportunities. Use of the workbook will result in a more clearly articulated investment prospectuses. Participants will also receive a copy of their pitch on video to refer to as a learning aid.
This event is recognized by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) as a professional development event that counts towards the recertification of Certified Economic Developers (CEcDs).
This event is recognized by EDAC and worth 5 points towards the Ec.D. certification or recertification.
Tourism is one of the fastest growing sectors globally, driven largely by the emerging middle class in many developing nations. Ontario welcomes 140 million visitors a year and remains the single largest travel destination in Canada, capturing 35% of Canada’s tourism spending by overseas visitors and generating nearly $28 billion in tourism revenue annually.
So if you have tourism related investment opportunities (public or private), and especially if you want to successfully pitch your opportunities at the upcoming December 15th Tourism Investment Marketplace, this workshop is for you! Sites/opportunities could include waterfront parcels, parking lots, agricultural plots, parklands, vacant buildings, or local historical assets in need of new investment that can be repurposed for the uses of Accommodations, Attractions, Entertainment, Food and Culinary, Meeting Space to Host Major Events, Residential, Retail, and Travel-Related Operations.