Position: Entrepreneurship Officer - Business Advisory Centre
Type: Contract (35 hours/week) November 9, 2020 to February 4, 2022
Posting Date: September 28, 2020
Location: Combination of Work from Home and potentially PKED Office at 270 George Street N., Suite 102, Peterborough
Closing Date: October 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development (PKED) is a non-profit corporation responsible for the delivery of economic development and tourism services on behalf of the City of Peterborough and County of Peterborough. We play a leadership and strategic role in developing the economic capacity of the Peterborough region.
PKED operates the Business Advisory Centre (BAC) which is one of 57 Small Business Enterprise Centres in the Province of Ontario, serving as an entrepreneur’s first point of contact with the business support community. Services, consultations, tools and resources are offered free of charge in order to help start-ups and small businesses succeed.
PKED also operates Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism (PKT) which is the official Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) for the region. PKT provides industry leadership and destination marketing services to attract visitors to the region and operates the year-round Visitor Centre located in the Venture North Building.
We have a team of dynamic professionals who offer economic expertise that identifies growth opportunities, provides services to existing ventures, and attracts new companies and visitors by sharing the region’s competitive advantages.
As the Entrepreneurship Officer, you work within the guidelines set out by the Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade (MEDJCT) to achieve the key goals and requirements of the Small Business Enterprise Centre. By achieving these goals, you enhance entrepreneurship in the Peterborough region, leading to the development of new business, innovation, investments and ultimately jobs.
In your role, you lead the development of services for entrepreneurs through the Business Advisory Centre (BAC) program to guide small business talent and investments in the Peterborough region. You are a key member of the Business Development team.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Administer and Deliver BAC Core programs:
- Deliver programs as identified by MEDJCT as well as the Director of Business Development.
- Identify funding and programming opportunities with Community partners and regional SBEC’s.
- Complete all reporting requirements of identified funding programs.
- Conduct site visits for program participants where required.
- Represent PKED to organizations and associations related to business start-up and development.
- Work with the Corporate Marketing/Communications team to:
- Lead development and implementation of annual BAC marketing and communications plan.
- Develop and distribute marketing programs and materials that comply with BAC and corporate brand guidelines.
- Create relevant content in the development of presentations.
- Develop and implement social media campaigns that are in compliance with corporate social media usage guidelines.
- Update timely information on Corporate Website that pertains to BAC Core activities.
- Deliver presentations regarding BAC programs to regional organizations and educational institutions for the purpose of recruiting new participants.
- Work closely with BAC partners to identify and propose business to business lead generating activities such as trade shows.
- Capture all activities in the Corporate Business Information System. Manage and track opportunities through the full cycle, ensuring information is accurate and current.
- Assist the Director of Business Development as required.
Support the Daily Operations of the BAC:
- Using Growth Wheel Platform, provide business consultations and direction to start up and existing businesses such as development of business plans, financial plans and marketing plans (through individual consultations, group workshops or seminars).
- Liaise with other PKED Economic Development Officers to find solutions to business start- up/expansion issues.
- Regularly participate with other SBEC agencies throughout the province to support entrepreneurs.
- Initiate and champion special projects based on current environment, often in partnership with external organizations. Manage and support development and implementation of communication initiatives, managing project life cycle activities:
- Define project scope, goals, success criteria and deliverables that support communication goals in collaboration with project team and key internal/external stakeholders.
- Communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders, liaising on an ongoing basis to manage expectations.
- Plan, schedule and track project timelines, milestones and deliverables.
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyzing results and troubleshooting problem areas.
- Report project status, including project Key Performance Indicators to Director and stakeholders when required.
- Monitor and track project costs, schedules, resources, risks, issues and performance to ensure the optimal success.
Provide strategic plan input and achieve your annual work plan:
- Provide input to the Director of Business Development during annual strategic planning.
- Work with the Director to establish the BAC objectives and programs as well as associated budgets.
- Develop and get approval of your annual work plan according to corporate calendar timelines.
- Work effectively and efficiently to achieve your annual work plan on budget and on time. Proactively identify challenges and recommend solutions throughout the year.
- Demonstrate work that lives the corporate values and follows Corporate Policies and Procedures.
Customer service and relationship building:
- Provide business consultations and direction to start up and existing businesses such as development of business plans, financial plans and marketing plans (through individual consultations, group workshops or seminars).
- Develop and provide education, networking and support services to entrepreneurs.
- Build connections amongst the small business community.
- Provide information on programs and government regulations relevant to business start-ups.
- Act as an ambassador including formal presentation of BAC programs and capabilities as a keynote or invited speaker or panel member to relevant events while providing information on event statistics and outcomes.
- Deliver exceptional customer service at every stage in the process.
- Respond to requests for information in a timely manner.
- Development of an entrepreneurial culture within Peterborough & the Kawarthas.
- Mutually beneficial relationships with other SBECs and community agencies.
- Greater community awareness of the BAC and its services.
- On-going relationships with BAC program graduates and clients.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND EDUCATIONExperience:
- Proven experience and track record in small business development and/or economic development.
- Knowledge of business planning, marketing, financials; experience in small business counseling.
- Knowledge of Peterborough City and County’s private and public sector.
- Knowledge of financing programs an asset.
- Ability to convert research and data into well written and/or public presentations.
- Experience in outreach and partnership development with community-based organizations.
- Proficiency in Growth Wheel, customer databases, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct online learning modules.
- Extensive understanding of social media platforms.
Skills fundamentally linked to corporate values:
- Build team trust by showing confidence in others abilities, listening and communicating openly.
- Demonstrate strong presentation and communication skills with multiple audiences.
- Show respect for others and welcome diversity.
- Give and receive constructive feedback.
- Lead and contribute positively and productively to teamwork.
- Engage in and encourage healthy debate that helps build stronger outcomes.
- Demonstrate creativity and innovative thinking as well as taking calculated risks.
- Think and work strategically; succeed by having focus. Keep an eye on the big picture as well as quality details of work.
- Stay motivated at work by aligning it with your life and values. Develop sustainable ways to deliver on task and on time.
- Reward others’ effort and celebrate successes.
- Post-secondary degree in business, economic development and/or equivalent.
Please send your application (PDF or Word document) to Barbara van Vierzen, Director of Operations at email@example.com by 4:00 pm, October 9, 2020.
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development is an equal opportunity employer.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information is collected solely for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Thank-you to all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.