Deputy Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
Ontario Public Service
Growing Ontario’s agri-food sector and supporting rural communities, helping to create a stronger economy for the province.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) helps to build a stronger agri-food sector by providing expert advice to farmers and commodity groups, investing in the development and transfer of innovative technologies, retaining and attracting investment in food processing and agri-businesses, developing global markets, providing regulatory oversight, assuring food safety and providing effective risk management tools. The ministry also helps enable rural Ontario to build strong, vital communities with diversified economies and healthy social and environmental climates.
Leading the ministry, the Deputy Minister is in a unique position to positively impact the economic health of the province and the lives of Ontarians. If that prospect appeals to you, consider applying to this senior executive leadership opportunity.
What can I expect in this role?
As the Deputy Minister of OMAFRA, you will report to the Secretary of the Cabinet (SoC), Head of the Ontario Public Service. You will be a trusted advisor to the SoC and enable informed policy and program decisions and delivery on government priorities throughobjective, strategic advice to the government. You will be a strategic partner to all Ministries in the OPS.
As a senior executive, you will join a leadership team responsible for building a skilled, ethical, inclusive and diverse public service. In this critical leadership role, you will provide executive leadership to the team that is responsible for:
- Fostering economic development of Ontario’s agri-food sector and the province’s rural and northern communities and cultivating growth by ensuring decision makers and the sector have access to the best information and services related to current and emerging issues and solutions.
- Promoting Ontario as a premier location to invest, innovate, and compete domestically and internationally and identifying opportunities to support innovation, exports and productivity while providing a “rural lens” for government decision-making.
- Ensuring protection and assurance in the agri-food system, including accountability for food safety and the health of farmed animals and plants; performing regulatory and compliance functions to ensure food quality and support consumers in making informed choices; and contributing to the public dialogue around standards of production and animal welfare.
- Providing stewardship of Ontario’s capacity to produce food and bio-agricultural products, including accountability for soil quality and a shared accountability with other ministries for agricultural land availability, water quality and quantity, and biodiversity.
- Supporting the sustainability of agri-food business through a business climate conducive to profitable businesses and continued human capability and motivation to produce food.
- Building and maintaining strong stakeholder relations.
- Ensuring full integration and collaboration with the entire OPS, especially Ministries whose responsibilities impact directly on the sector and rural Ontario.
- Enhancing ministry operations and effectiveness while maintaining a geographic presence in centres across the province and building stronger local and community relationships and understanding of rural needs and opportunities.
How do I qualify?
Inspirational and Inclusive Leader
- You are an inspirational and inclusive leader with a distinguished record of accomplishment in a related sector and have demonstrated experience in coaching and developing leaders.
- You’re a proven resilient change leader versed in organizational transformation with the demonstrated ability to deliver results in a complex and constantly changing environment. You are able to adapt to shifting priorities and changing needs while balancing between delivery and people leadership.
- You have exceptional executive experience creating a culture that builds commitment to excellence and leading senior executive teams to take accountability for results in a complex customer facing organizational environment.
- You have successfully fostered organizational cultures that are diverse, inclusive and accessible.
Strategic Policy, Planning and Decision Making
- You have exceptional executive experience with policy development, strategic planning, financial and resource management utilizing a solutions-oriented approach.
- You have led operations in new directions with awareness and management of risk.
- You can anticipate new directions, issues and trends and provide advice to establish organizational policies, programs and priorities to meet the expectations of various stakeholders.
- You have a solid understanding of OMAFRA issues, challenges and opportunities to help guide the creation and implementation of leading edge strategies, policies and programs.
Relationship Management and Communication
- You are a sophisticated communicator with the ability to effectively engage in complex, multiple stakeholder negotiations and influence peers, stakeholders and decision-makers.
- You have superior communication skills and can effectively lead by example, gaining consensus and motivating people to action.
- You have proven ability to foster collaborative relationships with partners across sectors and jurisdictions including the federal government, municipalities, private sector businesses and representative industry groups
- You have highly developed relationship building skills to develop and sustain effective partnerships with sector stakeholders, government officials and communities across the province including Indigenous communities and the private sector.
- You act with integrity and are self-aware of your impact on people and organizations.
Security Clearance Requirement
- If you are the successful candidate, you must successfully complete an Ontario Provincial Police security screening check.
How to apply
To be considered for this position, kindly submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to DMSearch@ontario.ca with the following in the subject line: Application for OMAFRA-2020.
The deadline to apply is March 31, 2020 midnight.
If you would like further information about this key leadership role, please contact Kumho Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer and is committed to diversifying its senior leaders
- If you require communication in another format and/or accommodation to apply, please contact the Executive Programs and Services Branch at DMSearch@ontario.ca
Note: Most ministry employees are located in Guelph and frequent travel between Guelph and Toronto is required.