Department: Legislative and Planning Services
Division: Economic Development
Position: Business Consultant (Small Business Centre)
Note: At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full time position working 35 hours per week.
Halton Region serves more than 580,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to delivering high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
Joining Halton Region opens the door to a fulfilling career. Our comprehensive compensation, great benefits and employee recognition program are a few reasons why we are one of the GTA’s Top Employers.
We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions.
Reporting to the Manager, Entrepreneurship Services, the Business Consultant works with start-up entrepreneurs and existing small business owners and supports them to start-up, manage and grow their businesses and helps build awareness and deliver entrepreneurship and export development programs of the Region’s Small Business Enterprise Centre and the Halton Global Business Centre.
The successful candidate will possess a degree in Business Administration, Commerce or related discipline combined with four to seven years professional experience in small business, finance or economic development. The successful candidate must possess a thorough knowledge of small business development, including, market analysis, business plan preparation, financial planning and accessing capital, sales and marketing, export development and scaling up business operations. The successful candidate must possess a strong awareness of current small business rules and regulations and the available tools, resources and government programs to assist entrepreneurs. Must possess excellent verbal and written communications skills to work directly with entrepreneurs, to prepare social media posts and presentations and present to larger groups. Must possess a strong customer service orientation and experience working with a customer relationship management system. Ability to build strategic partnerships and collaborate. Excellent knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint) is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel will be required, incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license by their first day of employment.
- Works directly with new and existing entrepreneurs and businesses and provides value-added information with respect to business start-up, management and growth including business registration and regulations, ownership structure, market research, business planning, financing and sales, marketing, export development and development approvals.
- Presents entrepreneurship education training seminars to various customers across Halton.
- Contributes to awareness building of the Region’s Small Business Enterprise Centre, the Halton Global Business Centre and the Division by presenting to community organizations, secondary and post-secondary schools, entrepreneurship groups and business peer-to-peer networking organizations.
- Assists with the implementation of the Centre’s entrepreneurship and export development programs and services and the undertaking of Halton Region business and tourism events and committees.
- Assists with the implementation of senior government funded entrepreneurship programs including Summer Company, Starter Company Plus and Futurpreneur.
- Prepares regular blog and social media posts on various entrepreneurship topics for the Halton Business Blog and Halton Business social media accounts.
- Develop strategic partnerships with small business and tourism stakeholders.
- Collaborate with community partners, external agencies and subject-matter experts.
- Maintains an up to date tracking of customer interactions on a customer relationship management system and provides timely reporting of outcomes to the Manager, Entrepreneurship Services.
- Ensures that entrepreneurship education and services presentation material is kept up to date with respect to programs, rules, regulations and resources.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Posted: December 2, 2019
Posting Expiry: December 16, 2019
Posting #: LP-400-19
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.