As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
The Manager, Tourism Arts and Cultural Development will oversee the development and implementation of plans to attract and sustain tourism and business in the City of Vaughan in support of the strategic vision. This position will be lead and manage staff, strategies and operations related to the day-to-day and long-term planning, delivery and evaluation of relevant programs/services to support the mission of the Economic and Cultural Development Department and mandate of the Tourism, Arts and Cultural Development business unit. In addition, this position is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Tourism Vaughan Corporation, its Destination Marketing Strategy, implementation, monitoring and reporting. Responsible for overseeing the City’s creative and cultural industries program, as well as the public arts program and will champion assigned strategic priorities, themes, key activities and corporate outcomes identified in the City’s strategic plan.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in business, marketing, economic development, tourism, arts and culture development and community engagement, or suitable equivalent, preferably with emphasis in tourism, creative and cultural industries development and promotion.
- Minimum of five years of experience in developing and implementing strategic plans and initiatives or suitable equivalent, including (5) years-experience in the development of community arts and culture, including experience of developing community-based projects in private / public / not-for-profit sectors.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, team building, negotiation and mediation skills; considerable experience dealing with the public and elected officials.
- Ability to express ideas effectively, written and orally; report preparation is essential
- Experience demonstrating effective written and verbal communication skills as well as presentations and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated experience working in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Working knowledge of consulting and technical principles and practices applicable to the tourism industry and economic development.
- Experience in project management, public relations and marketing.
- Experience in development, implementation and facilitation of business/community projects, events and focus groups.
- Experience in writing grant proposals and reports, proposal development and implementation
- Proficient computer skills preferably MS Office suite, CRM, and social media.
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, including evenings and weekends (as required)
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please click here to apply online by Tuesday September 3, 2019.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001,c.25) and will be used to determine qualifications for employment with The Corporation of the City of Vaughan. Questions about this collection should be dircted to the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer, 2141 Major Mackenize Drive, Vaughan, ON L6A 1T1, (905) 932-8585.