Town of Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
Economic Development Officer
The Town of Bridgewater (pop: ~8,700) is located on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, about one hour’s drive from the provincial capital of Halifax. A forward-thinking, progressive community, in 2014 our town was named “Best Place To Raise A Family” in Atlantic Canada. In 2019, Bridgewater was declared winner of the $5 million Smart Cities Challenge prize for its plan to combat energy poverty. As the “Main Street of the South Shore,” we are the hub community of our region, boasting great recreation amenities and quality of life, matched with a wide range of shops, services, and restaurants to suit the tastes and needs of you and your family.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an experienced Economic Development professional to join our Team. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this position supports the strategic goals of the Town and the implementation of the Town’s Economic and Business Development priorities with specific responsibility for investment attraction; business retention and expansion; relationship building; local and external business engagement, communications, and development; and land marketing, sales and acquisition. This position has senior strategic project management responsibilities for major initiatives undertaken within the Town. This position also has responsibility for developing briefing papers, research reports, staff reports and policy development. This role will be actively engaged with other departments and other economic development stakeholders to ensure that the economic development efforts are aligned, integrated and consistent with all of Council’s strategic priorities and directions.
- Post-Secondary Degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Community Development, or a related field; undergraduate required, masters’ preferred.
- Certificate or Diploma from a recognized program of Economic Development.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in a role or roles with responsibility for economic development or a related field.
- Program delivery and project management would be an asset.
- Experience in areas such as business, industrial/commercial development, real estate and/or marketing would be an asset.
- Combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Understanding of local government roles and responsibilities
- Municipal, provincial, and federal regulatory environment related to economic development
- Familiarity and experience with municipal and property law
- Demonstrated understanding of economic development principles
- Basic knowledge of GIS systems would be an asset.
- Experience with ArcGIS Business Analyst would be an asset.
- Must hold a valid drivers’ license and be willing to travel.
Visit www.bridgewater.ca to view the full job description for this position.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Permanent position
- Salary: $73,171 – 94,559, commensurate with experience.
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
- In addition to salary, the Town offers a comprehensive benefits package and flexible work policy.
Interested individuals should forward a resume and cover letter in confidence to:
Ashley Chase, Human Resources Officer
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
While we thank you for your interest, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
The Town of Bridgewater is committed to the fundamental principles of equal employment opportunity. We are committed to treating people fairly, with respect and dignity, and to offering equal employment opportunities based upon an individual's qualifications and performance — free from discrimination or harassment because of Age, Race, Colour, Religion, Creed, Ethnic, national or aboriginal origin, Sex (including pregnancy and pay equity), Sexual orientation, Physical disability, Mental disability, Family status, Marital status, Source of income, Irrational fear of contracting an illness or disease, Association with protected groups or individuals, Political belief, affiliation or activity, Gender Identity, or Gender Expression, in accordance with the Nova Scotia Human Rights Code.
The Town of Bridgewater is committed to the principles of the Accessibility Act. As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment, and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact Ashley.email@example.com.