POSITION ID: 3918-001 CALL NO. 23-3188 (CUPE 1329)
Job Designation: Senior Economic Development Officer
Department: Economic Development and Strategic Initiatives
Job Details: Permanent Full-Time
Salary Range: $88,555 - $107,986
Closing Date: Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca no later than 11:59pm on May 31, 2023.
Reporting to the Director of Economic Development, this position is responsible for promoting the Town of Oakville as a prime location for new investment and business retention and expansion in order to generate new property tax assessment and employment in the Town of Oakville.
- A hybrid work schedule
- A defined benefit pension plan (OMERS)
- Comprehensive health plan complemented with life and disability insurance
- A progressive work environment that promotes a work/life balance and strives to be a great place for great people to do great things
The job responsibilities for the Senior Economic Development Officer may include:
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive investment attraction strategy and action plan, including the development of an investment attraction marketing strategy
- Preparing comprehensive site selection proposals for new investment and responding to inquiries from companies, developers, site selectors and ICI brokers. Delivering presentations/pitches regarding new investment opportunities
- Providing assistance to applicants in the development approval process including coordinating meetings with internal and/or external stakeholders to help resolve complex problems.
- Leading and/or working with department staff on collaborative projects including the Economic Development Strategy, and sector and supply-chain strategies
- Developing and implementing strategies for business retention and expansion, including a comprehensive corporate calling program
- Acting as Town liaison for Oakville’s three Business Improvement Areas including providing information and assistance to the BIAs as needed.
- Promoting and administering the Brownfield Community Improvement Plan
- Coordinating Ontario Auto Mayor’s meetings in partnership with the Mayor’s office in support of the automotive industry
- Developing and maintaining relationships with developers, investors, real estate agents, site selectors, the Chamber of Commerce and the business community in respect of development initiatives, issues and processes
- Working with Toronto Global, and provincial and federal ministries regarding program initiatives and development opportunities.
- Coordinating and attending trade shows and events to promote the Town as an investment destination and supporting industry partners’ events via attendance and networking
- Participating on cross-departmental or corporate teams or projects as required
- Providing input for departmental publications including the annual Economic Development report.
- Developing and implementing an annual work plan and tracking progress in accordance with departmental performance indicators.
- Preparing reports and presentations for Council.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applicants should have a university degree in a discipline relevant to the job function, such as Business, Economics, Economic Development, Commerce, or Urban Planning.
- Eligibility for certification from the Economic Developers Association of Canada or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of real estate practices and an understanding of Provincial legislation and the Town of Oakville’s Official Plan.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, presentation, project management and leadership skills, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team setting.
- Working knowledge of a variety of computer applications including GIS, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, Salesforce and internet search engines.
- The successful candidate will be required to supply their own personal vehicle for performing job duties/ corporate business.
DATED: May 17, 2023
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. The minimum threshold score for each of the testing and interview components of the recruitment process is 75%.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.