The Economic Developers Council of Ontario (EDCO) is looking to hire a full-time Executive Director (ED) to join their team. The ideal candidate is a dynamic leader who can influence the strategic direction of the organization and, as the administrative leader, affect its’ overall success.
The Council was organized in 1957 and incorporated in 1962 as the Ontario Industrial Developers Council Inc. In 1991, the Council changed its name to the Economic Developers Council of Ontario to reflect the changing nature of the profession.
The Council holds one annual conference and several professional development events in different communities throughout Ontario. These meetings provide a forum for networking and exchange of ideas. In addition, seminars are held in co-operation with various levels of government and the private sector. The province of Ontario offers outstanding opportunities in every area of economic development. EDCO assists members to recognize and develop these opportunities.
Our Mission is to provide leadership to enhance the professional development of its members; advance economic development as a profession and support our municipalities in fostering economic prosperity in the province of Ontario.
Our Vision is to enhance and develop an economically viable and environmentally responsible Ontario.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direction and support to the Board as it conducts its governance and operational functions, establishes values, mission, vision, and short – and – long term goals.
- Define and evaluate problems and implement solutions, ensuring they do not have a negative impact on the organization
- Keep up to date with developments in human services, not-for-profit management, governance, philanthropy, and fund development.
- Facilitate the integration of EDCO into the economic development profession by using effective marketing and communications activities.
- Work to improve services and generate stakeholder involvement.
- Serve as the spokesperson for EDCO, assuring proper representation of EDCO to members, potential members, partners, and stakeholders.
- Provide general oversight of all EDCO activities, manage day-to-day operations, and assure a well functioning, efficient organization.
- Assure program quality and organizational stability through development and implementation of standards and controls, systems and procedures, and regular evaluation.
- Support staff and volunteers by managing their development and providing motivation.
- Recruit personnel, negotiate professional contracts, and ensure that appropriate salary structures are developed and maintained.
- Specify staff accountabilities and evaluate performance annually as per EDCO policies.
- Oversee the fiscal activities of the organization including budgeting, reporting, and auditing.
- Actively participate in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting partner prospects.
What you offer:
- A Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) is required.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in a senior management position.
- Knowledge of human services, finance, and human resources.
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
- Familiar with the planning and evaluation process.
- Experience in the field of economic development, government relations, not-for-profit management, governance, and community relations is preferred.
- Comfortable and able to present formal, persuasive presentations to groups.
- Able to collaborate with people from all segments of the community.
- Possess the skills and implement the functions of a leader.
- Share and support EDCO's values, mission, and vision.
- Display integrity and model positive behaviour.
- Able to develop people and build effective teams.
- Competent to manage demanding situations and design and implement interventions.
- Able to manage continuity, change and transition, with the ability to influence and empower others.
- Business savvy.
- Able to lead change and motivate others.
- Customer focused and goal driven.
- Action oriented and innovative.
- Able to translate broad goals into achievable steps.
- A self-starter and team player.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary based on experience
- 35 hours/week
- Permanent remote role
- Monday – Friday daytime hours
- A welcoming and inclusive atmosphere
- Additional benefits to be negotiated
To apply send your resume and coverletter to email@example.com